Sunday 20 February 2011

These shoes were on sale!

Ah Sunday, a day of rest, church, and time spent with family. That's not exactly how my Sunday has been thus far,  however, the day is far from over. A frantic phone call from a dear colleague locked out of the office catupulted me from my deep, drooling sleep and into the car wearing my favourite orange Amerian Eagle sweatpants and cozy baby blue cashmere sweater. Certainly not the kind of attire one would wear when leaving the house unless a fire was merely feet behind, but, in a hurry to help a friend, I threw caution to the wind and a long trench coat over my makeshift pyjamas I assembled in the dark, at the end of a foreign film with English subtitles, somewhere between 2:30 and 3:00 a.m.
Nonetheless, an hour and a half later, including an expensive locksmith who didn't speak much English, and I realized that I was merely minutes from my favourite thrift store. What to do - go home and spend Sunday with the husband and young brood, or escape into the aisles of a shoppers paradise, where an ensemble from the glossy pages of Vogue can be put together for under $40?
I decided that the family could wait, and as luck would have it, they could not be reached via numerous cell phone attempts, and as far as church goes, I did manage a quick sign of the cross as I drove past Holy Cross church.
For the next two hours, I chatted with complete strangers about the great deals, the crazy weather we've been having, and immigration issues. I felt as though I was among family. With the lights dimming, I knew that was my signal to beeline it to the checkout, but not without one last lap through the shoe department. And there they were. Nine West, black patent open-toe sling back sandals, small square heel, soft, supple leather, definitely retailing at no less than $150, but not here at the thrift store. For $14.99, I became the proud owner of these cannot live without, Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, husband will never be the wiser, girlfriends will be green with envy, can't wait for the snow to melt, match everything in my wardrobe, can even be worn with old faded jeans or a mink stole sandals!
What a day! Success!!! Yes my dear friends, these shoes were on sale, and that's exactly what I proclaimed to husband as he opened the front door with a stern face and an apron on.
Until next time, happy thrift-store shopping, Keep it real - recycle, donate, and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment